Thursday, June 5, 2008

Dressed To Hell

Several years back our manager brought us in tow in a social function accorded to a retiring pilot when he commanded his last revenue flight on his 60th birthday. I was in command of the afternoon shift composed of seven people, eight myself included. To make our presence felt, I assigned two staffs to remain on post and the six of us went out to accompany our boss. Refreshments were served before the main course followed. Guests kept on arriving and flight deck crews (captain and first officers) with scheduled flights left after taking their meals. Crews who flew their last flight for the day went directly to this gathering and enjoyed the exquisite cuisine. Our group who were on duty seldom attend gatherings and social functions like this except during Christmas parties and company anniversaries came just like taking our meals at the company canteen. One just point his order, place them in his tray, pay the cashier and find a space where he can do his thing. In this social function, things were quite different. Pleasantries were exchanged between close and not so close friends, fellow employees from other divisions in our department, employees greeting big bosses who seldom knew us individually and personally. Greetings were perfunctory activity, not out of sincerity. Two or three of us who finished our meals earlier left to cover the two who were left behind and allow them to have a hearty meal just like us who enjoyed it earlier. The rest of us remained to await the arrival of the late comers. I happen to be separated from our group when a friend from other division engage me in a long animated conversation. When it was over I inched my way to the door to be able to get back to my post. Still a few faces away from the door, I meet this pilot and said, “ I want a glass of red wine.” Pointing the table where the drinks were, I told him… “Sir, it’s over there.” Then he pressed further, “Get me a glass, I’m Captain Barbell.” “No sir, please ask the waiter to get you one. I’m supervisor Gene Yu.”, I answered back. “Sorry, I thought you’re the waiter.”, he apologizes. Accepting his apology, I told him…”No problem, people do make mistakes. Pilots crashed planes when they make mistakes in the cockpit. Good thing sir, you make your mistake on ground.” After that exchange, I discreetly approached my boss and told him I’m leaving to return to my post to join the boys there. He gave me the green light to leave him and so I went. On another occasion, a weather briefing was scheduled at 10 PM and our boss can not attend. He left the office after attending the 5 PM briefing and delegated the next meeting to me. In this meeting, plans whether to evacuate the planes to outstations or tie them down, flights from out stations whether to hold them there or allow them to take off or simply to load additional fuel in case of diversion, what each department or division was supposed to do, so when the coming tropical storm makes a landfall or pass through our stations minimum collateral damage is done. When he’s already home, he took the trouble to make further instructions. The meeting will be attended by no less than the VP of Flight Operations, Managers under our department and other departments directly under the SVP, Senior Vice President of Operations Group. Sometimes, the SVP attend this meetings unannounced. Seeing me in rugged attire and casual clothing day in and day out, I was told to attend in formal attire. I must be either in long sleeve or at least with collar. “Copied your instructions loud and clear and rest assured it’s as if you...yourself is attending this meeting.” To make a long story short, I did attend the meeting. It lasted more or less one and a half hour. I took important notes with special emphasis to those that concerned our division. Snacks were served before meeting was adjourned. I cascaded my notes to the boys and when I reported for work the following day, I was summoned to his office. He asked me to appraised him what happened in yesterday’s meeting. I told him, it’s in my notes I placed at his table. “ Did you not find it or is there something wrong with it?, I asked him. “ I found it and there’s nothing wrong with it.”, he said. “ I thought I screwed up that’s why you wanted me here. ” Nothing wrong with that. I just want to know if you attended in proper attire… did you come in long sleeve or with collar?”. “ Both. “, I replied. “I came wearing my leather jacket, like those worn by motorcycle riders riding their big bikes.”, I added. All he could say was “S*it.”, almost falling from his chair.

No comments: