Monday, April 7, 2008

Migration That Never Was

More than two decades ago, I seriously considered joining the exodus of our countrymen never seen before who left our homeland to seek the proverbial greener pastures. Many find themselves doing odd jobs in the middle east, getting paid handsome salaries higher than what some junior executives are getting locally. Some were hired as seamen on board oil tankers, container ships and the lucky ones on board cruise ships in the Carribean and European tours. Several friends who were in a hurry to leave to join the hunt for the new-found fortune were leaving faster than expected. When their families were receiving the expected remittances, a new lifestyle was noticed. Mothers who can seldom afford to buy new clothes for their children even on Christmas holidays can be seen on shopping sprees every time they received their husband's allotment. Picnics and excursion were common place even to those who haven't been to beach before. Some who were living in run down apartments were moving to their new houses in the newly-opened subdivisions. School children who were attending classes in the public schools were transferred and attending their classes in the private schools the following school year. Seeing all these things were becoming disturbing. Attracted by the thought of getting paid much better than what my friends were receiving, I began to make an elaborate plan not to be left behind. The craving for more money is now sky high. After five years of marriage and four young children to took after, I decided it's now the time to make my own bold move. All my professional requirements were on hand and only my resolve to apply for an overseas job, contract signing and resignation from my present job separates me from the first pay envelope I’ll be receiving from my foreign employer. Like all previous serious decisions I made before, my well-laid plan were drawn, plotted and careful analysis were repeatedly done to make sure I’m not missing anything to draw a correct conclusion. I made this in absolute secrecy so no distraction can influence me in whatever decision I arrived. Ergo. The decision is right. There is no turning back. Time to present my thesis to my wife. I've done it before, I can do it again. I can get her approval.. whether she likes it or not. She will say " Yes, darling! Yes, honey! I'm supporting your plans 100 per cent. No buts. No ifs. Or so I thought. After dinner, one enchanted evening.. I began my preliminaries. Would you like to have a house and lot so we will be living in our own house instead of this rented run down apartment? Of course, who would not want to live in her own house. she replied. Better yet, it must have matching furniture to enhance the ambience of our new home, she added. Would you believe we can have both the house and matching furniture, send our children to a private school including educational fund for their college education? I asked like a salesman expecting to close the deal. Wow, that would be great sweetheart!, I never expected we could have that too soon, she said.. her eyes suddenly widened. I could hardly suppressed my smile. I told myself, It's time to deliver my coup de' grace. But before I could deliver my line, she finally asked. And where are you getting the money? Shocked but never out of my wits, I counter attacked. I don't have the money right now, but if you cooperate we will have it. I argued my case presenting my blue print emphasizing the advantages if I work overseas instead of staying in my present job. She remained quiet while carefully analyzing all my entries and when she was finally done, she said with a strong conviction pushing my thesis. Your study is incomplete. All you have here are the tangibles that can be quantified and given values in monetary amount and you did not show the intangibles. My face turned red down to the neck since it's the first time my work was returned and of all people, my wife did it. Err..what I'm planning to do is for the good of the family and it will improve our financial condition substantially, I strongly argued. But what you'll not be doing once you leave is also for the good of the family, the children particularly, she said on the verge on crying. And remember, I married you for what you are, not for what you want to be, nor what you can provide. I'm not a material girl. She's now crying and I couldn't say a word to exacerbate the situation. I let her to cry until silence fell. Then, I proposed that we talk it out without our emotional outburst. Bargaining and Negotiation followed. Conditions were explicit not leaving any room for doubts. Remain in my job to be able to continue discharging my parental function to guide our children (ages 5, 4, 2 and 1 years old) in their formative years, finish my baccalaureate degree (I was a graduate of a 2-year technical course and work for the national flag carrier and she was a degree holder working for the local government when we got married), I remained the sole bread winner and she to be a full time wife so we can give quality parenting time to our children. I can still consider going abroad once I finish my baccalaureate degree. Three years later I earned my degree. We were given substantial salary increase by my employer and my plan of going abroad was further put on hold. Overtime was open and I was able to buy our housing lot. Five years after graduation I was promoted to a higher position but my job requires me to travel to our satellite stations 9 to 10 months a year. My traveling allowances including my salaries were at par with what I'll be getting had I went abroad to be an OFW, the so-called modern day heroes. Three years later after I was promoted, our company went on a series of strikes that almost made our company declared bankruptcy and close shop. Our company actually closed shop or shall I say temporarily stopped operations and when it re-opened I find my self promoted anew to my present position. Many scrambled to get their separation thinking our company will finally closed shop. To those who gambled where I belong, we keep our planes and the company flying high. After more than twenty years since I originally planned to migrate and find my fortune overseas, I was able to keep my family's skin and soul together. All my children are now degree holders but one. They have all worked including the youngest who is two subjects short of graduation. Attending a training my employer gave to our dependents, he has a paying manager/business owner for a classmate. When the training was over, he gave my son a ring. He was asked, I want to hire you to work for me. Are you willing to accept? Sir, I am willing but I'm still an undergraduate, two subjects short of graduation., my son replied. No problem. Many graduates applied for the position I'm offering you. I don't want to hire them. I want to hire you. You're hired. Show up on Monday. So, of my four children the youngest didn't apply for a job. His classmate applied to be his employer.

Looking back, I could have made much money compared to what I actually got. What I lost was my dream and chance of migrating and making it big. What I gained was the outcome of how my children grew and what they achieved with me around. I appreciate the efforts of our countrymen who have to leave our homeland to find their places under the sun and give better and brighter future for their children. Mine was migration that never was.

2 comments:

ginabeloved said...

thanks for adding me. ill get back to you after a quite long vacation.

Happy Blogging!

Dakilang Islander said...

thanks for dropping...sure witht he xlinks..i'll add u once i'm home