Monday, May 5, 2008

The Pastor

While still in college, my eldest son was already attending lectures on Scriptures. This group of religious young people call their activities Christian Communities Program, CCP and the members were known as CCPians. As a father, knowing your son is in pursuit of the teachings of the Lord felt confident he is treading the right path to manhood and will be guided by spiritual teachings like the followers of Jesus Christ. Most young people would rather enjoy their lives while still young and take advantage of their being under the care and protection of their parents. Some even goes astray, joining classmates, gang mates in unhealthy and prohibited activities as fraternities and illegal drugs. It was reassuring to learn your elder son is serving as a good example to his younger sibling, also a young boy, two hears his junior. Not long after, his younger brother followed suit. Soon, they were attending lectures and lessons together and on some occasions they go to depressed communities giving whatever the group has collectively and voluntarily contributed and distribute them to residents of these underprivileged communities. Two Christmas seasons they visited the inmates of a leper colony in a town north of Manila and gave them token souvenirs and goods that made these patients/inmates feel they still belong to society and people wish them well to return to our fold. Charitable activities were regularly done by these youngsters to raise whatever amount for an honorable purpose. Until he graduated in college and his subsequent employment with his first job he kept coming back to his fellow CCPians and was in high gear during Christmas attending midnight mass, joining and singing in the choir group. Then he transferred to his second job and present employer in a bank in Mandaluyong City , Philippines . During his probationary period, he was asked by his seniors if he is willing to join their Christian congregation that regularly study the words of God and be a renewed Christian. He told them he is already a member of a Christian group since college, was and still attending this group. Anyway, since it's also a group that praises and worship Jesus Christ, why not. So, he attended this group called Christian Commission Fellowship or CCF. Soon after, I began hearing him lessons and lectures on the Bible and one time he asked me to join him in the lecture to be presided by their CCF resource speaker Brother Ray An Fuentes. Topic discussed was financial security based on the bible and the teachings of Christ. I was impressed by the intensity of this speaker. I thought he was just a has been showbiz personality desperately trying to make a comeback after not making it big in the United States and Canada. His speaking engagement was lined up.. here and abroad that will keep him busy for the next several months. This speaker was mobbed by the crowd after he was through with his speech. The head pastor of CCF, Pastor Peter Tan-Chi was impressed just like everybody else. Several days and nights after that speech I began to reconcile the financial security he discussed with the lessons I learned in my academic studies. There was not much difference except that financial security and investments taught in college emphasized the rewards here on earth while the financial security discussed by Brother Ray An Fuentes and espoused by Pastor Peter Tan-Chi were after lifeĆ¢€¦ the one we expect to be when our physical/flesh body is gone. While still here on earth, trust the Lord that our prayers and longing will be answered. No problem is too big to remain unsolved. Accept, Believe, Trust the Lord. He is the Savior, he will not left you out in the cold as long as you accept he is your savior. I used to trust my own effort, capabilities and if things don't turn out right, I asked the Lord to get me out of this fix. Suddenly, I realized.. it's not to be. Above all else, we must put our trust and faith in Christ. After that encounter, I began attending bible lessons in Bible Foundation 1 at the prodding of my son. One class lead to another.. Bible Foundation 2, Holy Spirit, Baptism, Discovering Christian Growth and Galatians. I used to think I am assured of my place in heaven as long as I do good works and nothing more. Not so, and it's the sure path to perdition. I continued reading my bible alone, even if I can't attend the scheduled gathering at the place of worship. My son opened the door to me so I learned what being good Christian is all about. I must admit I haven't learned all of them yet but then it's a continuous process. As long as there is to be learned, I'll keep on trying. Pastors Glenn Obligacion, Jimmy Bernardo, Insong Nolan and of course, the most senior of them all, Pastor Peter Tan-Chi. Meanwhile, my son has kept me from drifting off my course. He brought home CDs and DVDs of the lectures and lessons discussed at the House of Worship if he was there and I wasn't. Alongside with the above-named pastors, my son began attending and engaging in animated conversation with this other pastor he reconciled with last year. Their lessons and discussions were smooth at first but some differences in beliefs and theories that can't be straightened out by scriptures and theology strained their relationship. Then last year, they began to reconsider their previous discussions. Newer and fresher approach were made and soon they have a meeting of the mind. Why not explore their ideas and beliefs. After all, this pastora's ideas and beliefs does not contradict the teachings of Pastors Obligacion, Bernardo, Nolan and Peter Tan-Chi. Late last year, this pastor has a new posting and assignment in Singapore, until now. The pastor was supposed to have a sojourn here next month but on-going activities prevented the trip and moved to a later date. The pastor instead asked/requested my son if he can take a week-end trip to the Lion City this week-end. He left the early afternoon flight last Friday, he is taking the early morning flight/return trip a little past midnight tomorrow, Monday. Expected to arrive at 4 AM, he can and will report for duty at his office tomorrow at 7:30 AM. What a busy end-end. Unable to attend his regular Sunday service here, my son must have doubled his prayers while in the Lion City . I'll be meeting my son early tomorrow at the NAIA, the former Manila International Airport . By the way, this pastor is a young woman. PASTOR Maria Divina Mantaring.

1 comment:

William said...

LOL.. How funny! I burst out laughing while reading this post. Good job, paps.