Monday, May 5, 2008

SIR NESTORIO, MY BOYHOOD IDOL AND MENTOR

Tall. Ramrod straight. Adjutant's voice. Strict. Commanding presence. That's how I'll describe my Grade 4 teacher-adviser who has impregnated a lasting influence in my formative years and shape my character that last until my adult life. I don't really like him. Especially after that encounter I had with him a year earlier. One day, I figured in a fight with a bigger classmate. He was an acknowledged bully in the class. After dismissal, this bully got my hat and don it on his head. I asked him to give it back to me since it belongs to me and must go home with it on top of my head. The bully was grinning from ear to ear and said, he'll give it back to me on one condition. I must beat him in a fistfight. Our classmates were now heckling and were eager to see a bloody fight expecting that after the smoke has cleared, they'll see one of us badly beaten (probably me), crawling like a snake and asking for mama's help. But they were dead wrong. They've underestimated my resolve. With an eagle's eye, I'd been eyeing the round wooden posts, more or less 2.5-3 inches in diameter to be used in the fencing of our school garden stockpiled not far from us. They haven't thought it could be used other than its intended purpose. Our naughty classmates pushed me towards him so we could make initial contact and the bully will make a mince meat out of me. In the initial salvo, I was hit in the head, stumbled and landed on my buttocks at the seat of my pants right there where the posts were. I grabbed one, stand-up and pressed my attack. He was big, I was small. I swing my weapon and attacked his shin. Bingo.. I hit the mark right on target. I was about to whack him in the head but our classmates and older pupils prevented me from crippling my adversary by grabbing and holding my weapon. The bully dropped, crumbled like a sack of potatoes and remained on the ground holding his shin, howling like a castrated dog. Classmates who earlier were instigating the fight were preventing me now from whacking him, saving the bully from further punishment. Bigger and older pupils were able to grabbed my weapon and the girls were quick to report the incident to the head-teacher, our future teacher-adviser. We were brought to his office/class room for interrogation and the guilty to be meted with necessary punishment. The bully, the alleged victim of my uncontrollable fury and I, the alleged assailant and attacker were now standing face to face. The bully was interrogated first but does not, cannot answer the questions asked. Maybe because he was busy crying and realizing he started it all. My mind says "If he cannot answer, probably he never will.. so I'll do the talking. Not yet asked, not yet my turn I pressed my attack. I said, " Teacher, he cannot answer because he is guilty, he started this fight and now cries as if his mother just died". The bully simply looked at the floor as if looking for a lost dime and doesn't seem to care to answer. Feeling confident I'll be exonerated, I resumed my tirades. That's what happened to bullies, like Goliath slain by small boy David. Teacher Nestorio turned towards me, raised his hand and slapped me. I thought my face grew thicker and numbed. Then he said, "Until you're asked, keep silent. And he added, "Don't talk until you're talked to'. My natural instinct was to hold my face and cry. Now, both of us were crying. Actually, he was sobbing while mine was just rising to a crescendo. Then the teacher asked, "You want some more?, asking as if it wasn't enough. I can't say a word, just shaking my head left to right.. indicating "Enough', as if my jaw has just locked. A naughty boy from the Grade 6 class said, "Sir, whoever cried louder, be declared the winner". Everybody laughed and seconded the motion. Somebody added, "Gene Yu will be declared the winner because he's crying while his adversary is now just sobbing. "Right", another added. And Gene gets his hat back. Would you believe? this time I'm laughing while still crying because of their naughty remarks. I saw the teacher beaming in the corner of my eyes. The bully can't even raise his face. He's just stooping there. Then the teacher told us to shake our hands, don't repeat this unfortunate incident, gave the hat back to me and asked us if we're still angry with each other before everybody was finally dismissed.

After a few months, the school year ended. And on recognition day, I was first in the honor roll, an improvement from the previous years 3rd. The deposed 1st was now in fourth, the 4th was now 3rd, and the previous 2nd place has managed to maintain his position. The following school year opened (we're now in grade 4), everybody is everybody's classmate again. Including the bully I whacked last year. Right on opening day, I actively participated in class recitation. Not much change happened. It's just like last year. We've managed to maintain our respective position. Everyday, before the class starts, we recited a prayer to guide us in our studies. After that, Sir Nestorio will deliver a sermon that tackles the virtues we have to learn as young pupils that must be turned into habits that will shape our character that we can pass on to our children when we're already adult. He emphasized that good manners, right conduct, virtues are best learned and practiced in youth since it will be automatically done in any situation. Observance of proper etiquette, protocol and proper decorum is demanded at all times. At that time, I just took it in stride since I'm pre-occupied with my being the top gun in academics. I have been disciplined at home by strict parents and I deemed it superfluous and overkill to be subjected to these long sermon as if we're convicts being reformed. Anyway, I just keep it to myself alone. What will I lose if I play along. Nothing. It won't cost me a penny. Before long, I didn't realize I'm already doing it on my own initiative. I was so focused in my preparations for our daily activities and I was so determined to stay on top. For me, academic competition mattered most. The rest… industrial and agricultural education where we're taught how to fix and repair woodwork, broken chairs and tables and planting vegetables were for pupils with less intellect. Gradually, I'm yearning to hear Sir Nestorio's homily every morning and I'm beginning to appreciate it. I grudgingly admitted to myself I must excel too in this subject, GMRC, Good Manners and Right Conduct if I want to maintain my ranking. My fear then, what if I beat them in academics and I'm beaten in GMRC, well I might be demoted to 2nd, 3rd and even last among the pupils with honor. The virtues he imparted to us then and still my basis for my relationship towards my family, neighbors, co-workers, relatives, friends and even enemies were learned from Sir Nestorio. Mere words and speeches, will not and cannot convince me if people who espoused it does not put it into practice. Sir was different. I was already in Grade 5 ( I was the 1st placer in the class under him in Grade 4) when he did something that convince me and I can still vividly remember what is this and why he did it. His daughter, our junior is attending the Grade 4 class under her own father as teacher-adviser. She was first placer the year before from a different teacher. Now, her father will naturally make her 1st placer in the current school year. So people thought. Before the ranking was done, a comprehensive exam in all subjects will be given to all pupils in the running for honors. His daughter was already in the running for 1st place. The second placer was already beaten twice, in grade 2 and grade 3. In due time, the comprehensive exam will be given. The honor pupils in grade 5 and grade 6 were made the watcher in that event. Other teachers prepared and administered the exam with Sir Nestorio inhibiting. We checked their papers and when the result was out, her daughter came out on top. The second placer was soundly beaten. When recognition day comes, her daughter was awarded 2nd place. The beaten adversary was now receiving the gold medal. At that time, I was confused. His daughter deserved to be the 1st placer, why then give the award to her opponent.. She was beaten fair and square. When I asked him, why he reversed their placing, he simply said "Out of Delicadeza". We honestly believed, his daughter deserved the top ward, but then the father prevented it. Years later, I realized and learned what this is all about. "Sense of Propriety'. Sir Nestorio stands head and shoulder above most lawmakers and other public servants today. I then recalled and reviewed his past sermons and appreciate it even more. The virtues he espoused, advocated and passed on to us guided me in my adolescence, manhood and adult life. Among them aside from the above are honesty, sincerity, punctuality, courage, integrity, loyalty, respect to elders, golden rule or reciprocity, kindness, perseverance, tenacity, steadfastness, trustworthy, word of honor, teamwork, commitment. Many other virtue and lessons were imparted to us, but for me, they're the standout. If and when I have to time to return to my hometown, I'll pay respect to the grave of this great man. I felt blessed and honored to be under this disciplinarian. Thank you, Sir Nestorio.

No comments: