Thursday, June 5, 2008

Country Boy, The Underrated

Summer 1967. Entrance examination for elementary school graduate hoping to be admitted in one of the public high school in Quezon City. Barely two months after arriving from the province, I was not given a chinaman’s chance to land a slot in the coming school year. As the new kid in town, a country boy (probinsiyano) venturing into the big city pitted against graduates of the city’s famous public primary schools, they considered me lucky to earn a slot in the last section of the evening classes. I was considered half-cook, greenhorn, can be easily beaten by the poorest in the class of the least rated elementary school. Playmates used to tease me – I knew nothing of anything the city has to offer. They asked me if in our province we have electricity, tv, radio, newspaper, movie house, car, traffic lights, pedestrian crossing, ice cream. I told them we have none but I knew what they were. They even said, what we have in the province are carabao’s, goats, pigs, chicken, camote (sweet potato) and nothing more. Also, the only prominent object we have in the province is moonlight which is hardly missed in the city, brooks and forests. I just took them in stride knowing most of what they’re saying are true. Taking offense for their unpalatable and insulting remarks, I decided and was determined to beat them in the coming entrance examinations. Even their parents told my parents not to expect too much from me so they won’t be disappointed. And so it came to pass. The examination came. We were segregated into two groups – those who were graduates of the city and those graduates from the provinces. The top 10% from the provinces will join the 90% that came from the city. When the result was published, there will be 22 sections in the day session and 11 sections in the 5-year curriculum evening classes. We were ranked according to our score. Initially, I was included in the first section of the day session. I was ranked first among the incoming high school freshmen and my nearest pursuer was at the fifth section, also in the day session. Their parents asked them what section they belong so with mine. They’re not happy to know I beat their sons saying I’m just lucky and it was just a fluke win. They even said, it’s not final as in the past and it will be revised and fine tuned in a week’s time. True enough, after it was reviewed.. I was relegated to the second section, a notch lower. When they learned it from their sons, they simply said, “ I told you so. You don’t belong there. Even landing at the second section was too high for you. Probably, even that… was a mistake.” These people were trying to downplay my accomplishment and tried hard to paint themselves as prophet announcing what is to come. From that moment, a grim determination was born in me “ to rise and top any contest where their children is a participant” It doesn’t matter if other contestant or adversary beat me as long as I beat all the children of my detractors and make them swallow their words. I took it personal now. They tried to prevent me from attending athletic event, cultural and industrial fair, field trips and extra curricular activities. They told my parents they are too ambitious and showy to allow me to join these activities when we’re behind in our monthly space (quarter’s) rent. They even went to the extent of telling my parents that I will be more productive if I just help the family earn money so we will not be behind in our payment. I’m not blind or naïve not to see all of these, why they are trying to prevent me from continuing my studies. The more they tried, the more I remained focus and steadfast in achieving my goal. In second year, I maintained my ranking and remained in the second section. I was promoted to the first section when I was in my junior year maintaining that when I was in my senior year, now graduating. A female classmate was the only one in our neighborhood who can rightfully claim she has beaten me and she’s telling the truth. Since first year, she was in the first section until we graduated. But she doesn’t matter to me. Her parents never put me down and she’s a decent young lady. After graduating from high school and our family was still dirt poor, I became a working student. I became a helper in a construction company in day time and attending evening classes taking up two-year technical course. I was able to graduate on schedule after two years and immediately landed a job. Actually, I got the job two weeks before graduation. In fact, I skip the graduation rites since I was assigned and posted in the province north of Manila during my first 3 months of employment. While employed here, I took the NCEE, National College Entrance Examination to be able to enroll in a baccalaureate degree course unlike the 2-year technical courses where it’s not needed. I took this exam and my high school batch mates in the neighborhood also tried their luck. When the result was released, I beat all of them. I’m not too happy that I consistently beaten them. I only wanted their parents to know their children is not in my league, that if their children are not so bright it’s because their parents have low IQ’s. I’m too polite to even raise my voice when they talk to me. But they took it too mean they can push me around. When they asked me what I did that I passed that exam. My answer was simple, “ I simply followed the instructions.” “And what was that?”, they asked. “ Write the correct answers, and I did exactly just that.” And I added, “ Sir, those who failed were those who did not follow instruction. They wrote the wrong ones. And some were hard headed. They did not write an answer, they leave the numbers blank. And I promised… NEXT TIME, I’LL BE DOING THE SAME. FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS.

No comments: