Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Hobbies

Taking a break from our work is a necessary endeavor to avoid the monotonous routine of our daily existence. All work and no play will make us dull and our activities too mechanical. Some enjoy outing and bonding with the families, friends and even officemates. Picnics and excursion on the beach and trekking mountains are popular outdoor activities. Others prefer going to the malls and spend their time window shopping or simply have their pastime in places not far from home. Families either bond together or in separate groups. Mother and daughters usually watch and see melodramatic movies while father and sons would opt for adventure, action and suspense. All might settle for comedy and light movies. In sports, mother and daughters would prefer ballet and figure/ice-skating while the men pick boxing and basketball. Generally, I’ve spent time with my family both in indoor and outdoor activities especially when we were still in the province and when we moved here in the city we still find time to bond together albeit not as frequent as before. Going to the malls on weekend once in a while is still a favorite activity and most of the weekends, we stayed at home watching tv and home video to be together since everybody is working on weekdays. Alone, I’m preoccupied with reading, chess games analysis and internet research covering subjects I want to deepen my knowledge. While still a student, I spent my vacant time at the school library doing research and once it become a habit it’s difficult to break. Previously, we read our news only through newspapers, listening to radio and tv broadcasts. Not anymore. We can access the different media network through internet. I learned to use the internet less than three years ago. Having learned to use this new medium, I’m like a child who can’t be separated from his toy – even in sleep. There were even times, when my children has to practically beg me to take a break from our PC/internet. They keep on reminding me, my eyesight will be affected by staying too long in front of the computer. Once I take my break from the PC, I listen to mellow music to refresh my mind and falling into sleep, having a well-needed rest, I’m ready for the next day’s activity.

No comments: