Thursday, June 5, 2008

FG, Fool Gentleman

My present employer is my third since my first job. In this span of time, I’ve been under a dozen bosses with different personalities. Just like a professor rating his students, I would rate them on their overall qualities. The average type I’ll not discuss much but the extremes, i.e., the excellent and mediocre will be dissected like a scientist examining his specimen under a microscope. Mike was my first manager. He was happy go lucky and subordinates were treated like members of his family. This is understandable since his company was a small entity with less than 30 staffs in its payroll. I was happy with him and my colleagues such that when I requested to be released two months short of one year service I felt like an orphan. My next manager was Freddie. He was all right, fair and implemented orders from higher ups and sees to it everybody gets his fair share. Bert and Rudy were my next two division managers. They were product of the old school hence were relatively strict but reasonable. Alex became my first administrative manager since I was posted in the field under his command but functionally, I’m not under him since he doesn’t have the technical know how to do or understand how our work is being done. Under his command, we felt like we’re under a military commander since he emphasized the value of sprit de corps all the time. Either we all live or die together. One for all and all for one. I was under him for almost nine years and all those years I had no problem with him nor him with me. As to my colleagues, he was involve by virtue of the principle of “command responsibility” when one of our staff used our company service vehicle during the unholy hours of the evening and figured in a vehicular accident. The car undertook major repairs before it was put back to serviceable use again. Alex got off the hook, but the subordinate was grounded for a month. My next administrative manager was Jun; taking over from Alex when Mrs. Alex sequestered her husband following the discovery of a certain Mrs. Alex II. Observing our code of silence, no one got the balls to confirm Mrs. Alex Original’s suspicion. Jun was a high profile boss who came like a conquering hero. Like VP Gloria Macapagal Arroyo taking over from Pres. Erap. Before he took over, he was introduced to the whole community, the governor, the mayor, the head of offices, the provincial commander, all the honorable in the capital town were introduced like foreign dignitaries. They were made to understand – any request for accommodation can be accommodated by Mr. National Flag Carrier. Comparing previous bosses to this guy… they’re all second rate, trying hard. He was a superb dresser; his people skills were excellent. Like a politician. One incident between me and him strained and soured our subordinate-boss relationship. One time I was still working my backlog due to successive power interruptions. It was still an hour before quitting time when everybody were boarding our service car except me. We were invited to a town fiesta (festivities) when Jun came over and asked me to join the group. I told him, “Boss, I’ll just stay behind so I can receive all incoming messages so early tomorrow we don’t have any backlog. Confirmation of requested seats favor our overbooked passengers were among those expected messages. He said, “ Shut down the radio equipments and if anything happens I’ll just explain in your behalf tomorrow.” I replied, “ Boss, I’d rather do it right today than explain tomorrow because I screwed up today.” He stared at me, looked me from head to foot and without saying a word left with the entire staff. I was left alone, did all my pending job, closed my office (I have my own room with lock and key apart from the sales people’s office), went home and rest. The following day, I learned from my friends… Jun was mad at me for refusing his invitation and joining the group. There was a veiled threat - I better be careful or else…I just shrugged my shoulders and jokingly told my friends “ he be careful, not me. I’m doing nothing, so what should I be careful about?” Two or three days later, I learned… my friends were prevented from talking to me, drinking with me, any form of personal or even official inter-action will be sanctioned. I simply told my friends, “Just do what’s best for you. Don’t worry about me. I can take care of myself.” One time, while he was in the city attending a meeting-workshop, we were watching a big time boxing match on tv and were having rounds of beer. A former friend who was so intimidated by him reported the incident when be returned. My drinking buddy was reprimanded not to do that again. Otherwise, he will not be recommended for future training that were lined up so they’ll be considered for promotion. He wants me out of the loop. An outsider. Not satisfied with that, he attempted to embarrass me in front of a generous customer. A customer who purchased a plane ticket called up the canteen earlier and ordered “refreshment and snack for the airline staff.” When it was delivered I happen to be at the ticket office turning over an urgent message for him to act and reply immediately. My friends and the customer offered me to get mine but before they’re through with what they’re saying… Jun told me to get only one, not more and leave immediately. This guy is trying to put me in the defensive and I promised he’ll not succeed. I don’t get mad. I get even. I thank the customer and my friends but before leaving left a message, “It’s nice when offered a meal, but nicer when you’re footing the bill. There’s no such thing as free lunch. Sooner or later, you’ll pay for it.” Days passed, months and after a year… he was transferred to another posting. Ronnie took over from Jun. My new manager is straight and honest. Unlike Jun, Ronnie does not even drink or smoke. His routine is Home-Office-Home. Under his command, the company was able to save substantial amount from supplies alone. Even overtime was kept to a minimum. Once, Jun’s staff called up to inquire if there is really a retroactive rice allowance and when it is to be released. I told the guy.. it was given two months ago it’s now history. He can’t believe what he just learned. They were told, it’s not released simultaneously. I suggested, he better contact Jun (and Ronnie’s) director and inquire if indeed theirs is yet to be released. The guy filed a leave and verified from Jun’s immediate boss and found out Jun misappropriated the money. Upon learning this, I have mixed emotions about my former boss. For all his pomp and show, all of the elegance displayed he’s nothing but a clown in his desire for recognition and attention. He filed for a loan to cover the amount he misappropriated and before it was released, he was audited and found guilty of fiduciary matters. He was fired and lost his job. And before this happened, he left his wife and lived with Mrs. Jun II. This must be poetic justice. One misfortune after another, this manager was living in hypocrisy. He has feet of clay after all. What was once an icon of popularity, he succeeded in leading his life to obscurity. Who once was adored as a conquering hero is no more than a fool gentleman, an FG.

No comments: