Thursday, June 5, 2008

ESALA, FRAUD

Four years ago, I resigned from our savings and loan association after being a member since a month after I joined our company. This association has the employees, both active and retired as it’s members. Purpose of this when it was organized by its founding members was to mutually help and assist its members in its financial needs so they will not be exploited and fell prey to loan sharks. Since becoming a member, we receive an annual dividend based on the number of shares we invested as share from the association’s retained earnings. Members were happy in this set up since our shares earned a commensurate dividend for the amount invested. In 1998, we were hit by an economic turmoil. Labor unrest keep us from having industrial peace and harmony. When peace was finally attained, albeit temporarily we tried to fall back on our employees savings and loan association, ESALA for our financial needs – household, tuition fees for our children, utilities and other basic needs. To our dismay, we were prevented from drawing our money since massive withdrawals were made earlier by big time depositors. If we were allowed to withdraw our money, this would amount to bank run triggering other depositors to withdraw their investment. To appease us, we were allowed to withdraw up to 20 % of our deposit on scheduled basis. Release will be made after every collection from members per payday. We survived on this set up until 3 years where we were still given our annual dividend every end of year. Last time we were given our dividend was in 2001. Two years in a row dividend was not declared, in 2002 and 2003. We began to wonder why this is happening since interests earned from loans extended to members were deducted in advance. From the investigation we made and information we gathered from disgruntled staffs of the association, we learned our money was invested by the officers not made known to the members. Scheme is not so hard to fathom. They invested our money and distributed among themselves (the officers) whatever earnings our money made. Several months before I resigned I tried to withdraw money for my son’s tuition fee. I was refused and instead, I was told to file a loan so I can have the money I wanted. I flared up and look for the manager thinking they’re trying to con me. How come they can’t release my withdrawal but they can release money if I filed for a loan. The obvious is now in the open. The association does not have enough cash really; collections every payday were not enough to cover the release of withdrawals, loans and members closing their accounts. Not satisfied with the explanations and they’re not so transparent to admit they have invested our money in investments they’re not supposed to engage I decided to resign and close my accounts. I was supposed to receive all my money nine months after I closed my membership. When I came back to get my money, I was given only 20% of my money and I was told to return six months later to get 10 %. After getting the 10% , it took me another six months to get another 10%. In December of 2005, they issued two claim stabs to be presented in March 2007 representing 30 % and the last 30% to be presented in June 2007. Many members are still enraged awaiting the total release of their money they’re entitled to withdraw. In an ordinary bank, you can deposit your money today and withdraw it next week, next month or any other day. And you can walk out of the bank with your money. Savings and Loan Associations are not the best institution where anybody can invest their hard earned money. Very few people can be trusted with our money. Either you invest your money in Treasury bills, time deposit or trust funds rather than ESALA where officers of the association can squander your money without you knowing it. One time, I happen to meet a former friend, still working for ESALA courting and sweet-talking me to return. I jokingly told him, I’ll return if they’ll give me a 100,000 loan just like what the banks are offering . Banks are offering as much as 1.5 million depending on your capacity to pay and it’s without collateral. He said ESALA can’t do that yet. I can only avail thirty thousand pesos after renewing my membership and periodic deductions/contributions had been made. In jest, I told him, “Pare, thanks for the offer, but I’ll just avail of the loan offered by this Indian national, we all knew as “BOMBAY”. Both of us have a hearty laugh. I know, he knew, I know.

No comments: