Thursday, June 5, 2008

Talk Show

Each day before or after my work, I make it a habit to watch the day’s news either the early morning, early evening, or the late night news. Without these news, I felt so remote not knowing what happened in and out of the country and what should be done if something suddenly threatens the populace. While this routine makes my day, seeing rubbish talk shows hosted by morons raises my blood pressure. Once, I was watching a boxing match and my wife suddenly changed channel to check if her regular weekend talk show was already on going/running, I saw the face of this idiot host asking her guest stupid questions. I flared up and punch the television screen to release my incense feeling seeing this moron on national tv showing her stupidity. The guest was the subject of a blind item published in a daily tabloid and was asked how she feels about it since she is being alluded to in a scandalous gossip? When the guest denied she’s involved in that alleged scandal, that idiot host pushed her questioning if the guest is willing to subject herself to a lie detector test to confirm the truth or falsity of her answer. How come these moron talk show hosts are allowed to bully and put their guests on the defensive? To be the subject of an unpleasant news is bad enough, how much more to put their guests in embarrassment live on national tv? Are the network owners so desperate to allow this kind of show to be aired in their network? I pity and sympathize with their guests for being humiliated live on the air. If I were in their shoes, first thing I’ll declare is to warm my host/s, “ I appeared here for a sensible question and answer session. Don’t attempt to embarrass or humiliate me or my family. Don’t ask me stupid questions or else, I’ll be compelled to give stupid and sarcastic answers.” From here, the host/s can start asking me questions. I’ll answer in such a manner as if I’m in a witness stand being cross-examined by my accuser’s lawyer. I’ll answer only questions I have knowledge of. Answers such as “None that I know of.”, “ I have no personal knowledge.”, “That’s your opinion.”, “That’s what you think.”, “ I invoke my right to privacy.” and “ I invoke my right against self-incrimination.” If they’re disappointed with my answers, that’s their problem. That’s better than I’ll get mad at myself or mad at them. Of course, they’ll feel frustrated. So what? I’m just giving them a dose of their own medicine. Now, how do they feel if they feel like squeezing stone to get water. The only time I relish knowing what happened in a talk show happened several years back. A tandem of a gay and celebrated female talk show host has a bold star for a guest in that episode. This bold star was known as a hard hitting woman and answers questions without battling an eyelash. She was asked a controversial question and when it was her turn to talk, you can only imagine. There was no stopping her… She answered sarcastically and told the pair that if they want what her adversary feels, go and ask them. She emphasized she can only tell them her own feelings and as to her enemies, they can answer them. Then she asked the pair, if they were in her shoes, what would they probably feel? Would they feel good? Feel like walking in the clouds? Then that bold star conducted the show as if she was the host and the pair, her guests. The roles were reversed. Imagine…. A guest running the show as if it was her own, and the supposed host were reduced to mere guests. The following morning, this episode was in the papers. The network’s Vice President for entertainment got mad at her staff and reprimanded them not to have this bold star in their show again. They learned their lessons the hard way. It’s providential. Seek and ye shall find. Ask and it shall be given you. Amen.

No comments: